1) Head to your local brew shop and buy a recipe! This is a great project if you want to brew together or give them something to do once the dinner dishes have been cleared. You can check out my favorite store here, www.baldbrewer.com.
2) This poster. I mean who doesn’t want to be the beer know-it-all?
3) A beer at your local brewery! The dilemma we all seem to run into is not having enough time so if you can take a few minutes out to have a beer with your friend, they will certainly enjoy the beer and the much needed break from the to-do list.
4) This book. I love everything about this book! You can read this book cover to cover or just use it for reference. There are also some great recipes for inspiration. You know, in case you want to get #1 on the list as well!
5) …And if you are shopping for me and want to splurge, you can go with this! I mean, who doesn’t want to have a fancy kegerator in their house? And then next time gift giving comes around, you can get a keg to fill it with!
And remember, if you are enjoying beer activities over the holiday, find a driver!
Filed under Beer, Seasons
I cannot believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner. We are getting prepped to see my parents and (fingers crossed) my sister and her husband and adorable baby next week! Every month, I have been saving some of my favorite tunes. I want to be clear about one thing. There is no Christmas music on my November playlist! It is too soon. I have been hearing it at the store, from co-worker’s cubes, and at the coffee shop in the morning. I am a firm believer that you cannot play any kind of Christmas music until all of the dishes have been cleared off of the Thanksgiving table. I don’t care if you listen to a little Mariah Carey Christmas while you eat your turkey and cranberry leftover sandwich but not a second sooner. Next month, there will be plenty of time for Michael Buble, Bing Crosby, and the new Idina Menzel holiday album I have been eyeing.
For now, you’ll have to deal with my holiday free list!
Filed under music, Seasons
So even though it was 70 degrees yesterday, the weather person on the news today mentioned that we are getting ready for another two inches of snow tomorrow. Isn’t winter over? Isn’t it almost April? I am out of lift tickets so I have no more interest in the snow! Bring on the flowers!
We are in cleaning and fixing up mode for Spring which means we need some tunes for the basement! Time for another spotify playlist!
Happy Friday! Enjoy your weekend, no matter the temperature!
So every day I have rolled off the air mattress and stared down my computer screen with the little blinking cursor and nothing has come to mind. I’ve had grand plans to write down my plans for 2014. I am usually not one for resolutions but each year I try to set small goals for myself. And this year, I don’t really have a goal in mind. I know that I still want to shed the unwanted weight, eat, better, be nicer, save more money… but we know how that goes.
All I really want for 2014 is to feel better. I wake up every morning wishing it were Saturday and I came home every night and immediately switch to flannel pants before making dinner. I don’t need to spring out of bed every day but most of the week would be nice. And adding fitness back into the routine wouldn’t be so bad either. I have a flexible job with a gym in the basement. I have zero excuse to be this lazy all the time.
One thing that has really improved my mood are my headphones and some good playlists on Spotify. Music always has a way of lifting me out of whatever funk I find myself in. Any suggestions?
Happy New Year (finally)!
To say Merry Christmas. It has been an exciting few days with the family. Enjoy time with your loved ones!
Filed under Family, Seasons
So I teased these out on Instagram the other day. This is in no way my recipe and exactly the best pop of color for your Holiday dessert plate!
The thing with these cookies is you have to make meringue… The first time I did this I used a carton and a half of eggs, salt from my tears, and a stained pink shirt. This time, I used the carton of egg whites, an apron, and a lot more confidence. And voila! Cute little meringues that make the Husband smile!
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 200°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until white and foamy, about 1 minute. With mixer running, gradually add suger in 3 additions beating for 2 minutes between each addition. Beat until firm peaks form, about 2 minutes longer. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract; beat to blend, about 1 minute.
- Dot coloring over surface of meringue; do not stir (the coloring will form swirls when piped). Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2″ tip. (See Prep School; alternatively, spoon into a plastic freezer bag, then cut 1/2″ off 1 corner.) Twist top; pipe 1″ rounds onto prepared sheet, spacing 1″ apart.
- Bake meringues until dry, about 2 1/2 hours. Let cool completely, about 1 hour (meringues will crisp as they cool). DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature between sheets of parchment or waxed paper.
Filed under recipes, Seasons